This DIY recipe is very simple to make, nourishing for dry skin, and uses up leftover coffee grounds from your morning coffee! Coffee scrubs like this are great for exfoliation and removing dead skin cells – but also gentle on more sensitive skin.
HOMEMADE COFFEE SCRUB
Why make a DIY coffee scrub instead of buying one from the store?
- YOU choose the ingredients—-that means no chemicals or harmful preservatives that are present in many commercial skincare products.
- Coffee, coconut oil, and brown sugar are natural, nourishing and exfoliating for the skin.
- Made with everyday ingredients you can easily find in your kitchen, and also prevents used coffee grounds from being thrown away.
- Coffee Grounds: Slightly abrasive but still gentle as a skin exfoliator.
- Brown Sugar: A little more abrasive than coffee grounds, but gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin. Since the sugar is sticky, it helps the scrub stick together and form a smooth consistency.
- Coconut Oil: Very moisturizing, adds a nice aroma.
- 1/2 cup coffee grounds (fresh or used)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla, peppermint, or almond extract for desired aroma
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
- Store any leftover scrub the fridge (to prevent mold) and use the rest within two weeks.
We hope you enjoy this little sustainable DIY project and that it inspires you to continue finding creative ways to prevent food waste!
Not so into DIY? Head to our Sustainable Marketplace for eco-friendly brand & product recommendations, updated weekly.
If you liked this and want more, subscribe to our weekly eNews Get Real— an Innovation for Good mash up of marketing and lifestyle tips and positive news about cool sustainable brands and innovators changing business for good. Get Real inspires and offers practical pro-tips to help individuals and businesses increase their positive impact.
Live Creative is a leading resource and community hub for sustainable design, innovation, business, and marketing. Our Lifestyle Team brings you inspiring sustainability and zero waste tips, ideas, and more. Our Creative Studio Team offers authentic marketing, branding, and business expertise to ecopreneurs, socialpreneurs, and purpose-driven brands.